Thursday 29 March 2012

When I leave, what’s left?



I’ve been thinking about the impact people have on each other.  Recently I observed a team which appeared unable to perform as a cohesive unit.  Some members engaged in disruptive behaviour, and this affected those attempting to work well.  The negative performance of the unofficial leader was overwhelming .  The team’s focus disintegrated and on the surface seemed determined to destroy itself and not achieve its goal.  What was the root problem?

Reflecting on the team’s performance I realised that the members had not started out with the intention to fail.  They appeared to have looked forward to the opportunity presented.  It was the team director’s contribution which had been divisive.  He expressed negative concerns about their abilities and the motivations of particular individuals.  These concerns expressed in the presence of the team had been like a bomb.  It was dropped, he left and the team had to deal with the fallout.  They sat in the mire of individual anger and resentment, rather than focussed on giving an effective contribution.  

So, I ask myself, what’s my  impact on other people?  Are their tools blunted or sharpened by my contribution?  What’s my input’s  influence on their performance?  When I leave what’s left?

No comments:

Post a Comment